Tuesday, November 9, 2010

30 Days of Thanks


Day 9 

I can tell that by the time I get to the end of the 30 days I may end up repeating myself.  That's only 'cause I'm getting old,  not because I can't think of 30 unique, individual things to thank the Lord for :)

I am thankful today for God's Word.  Conny was mentioning the gift of words and it made me stop and think a little more about words. 

Have you noticed some of the 3:16's in the Bible?

Well, you could start with Genesis 3:16 and work your way through... but I'd rather not think about Genesis 3:16 too much. 
Let's skip over to Matthew 3:16:
"And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:"

Luke 3:16

"John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:"

and of course John 3:16
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

and Colossians 3:16
"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord."

II Timothy 3:16
"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:"

There are probably others, but I'm going to stop there.  I like to find patterns in the Bible like this.  I know that chapters and verses were added later to scripture, but isn't it kinda neat how this happened... all these 3:16's that are such important sections of the Bible.

It is a joy to have God's Word.  To be able to read it any time and anywhere.  I also thank the Lord that we still have that freedom and pray that it will continue for us in the United States.  There are many who are forbidden by law to read God's Word, or humiliated for reading it.  I have actually been ridiculed many times for referring to the Bible or quoting scripture, but keep in mind this scripture... not a 3:16, but so important to remember

"For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.  Hebrews 4:12

1 comment:

  1. What a neat perspective, Mrs. D.
    ANd I love finding patterns or lists in God's Word too. I hadn't known about the 3:16's though.

    ReplyDelete