Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Just a little thought

Hebrews 9:28

"So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation."
 
This was the topic of the Days of Praise devotional for today.  Sometimes a verse you have looked at possibly hundreds of times suddenly speaks to you heart.  You know?  Well, this did today.  The word "once" meaning "one time".  Jesus gave Himself for us that one time and that is all it took to reconcile us to God.  Complete. 
 
This is such an encouraging thought to me.  Do I need to fret that somehow because of my sins there will ever be a loss of salvation?  Nope!  It's a once and done act.  Not something I have done, but what Jesus has done for me... "once"!   I often think of those I have been associated with in the past and even now who try so hard to live in such a way so as to not lose their salvation.  How disheartening it must be to try and fail, try and fail over and over again. 
 
Titus 3:5:

"Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;"

Praise God for His mercy and the work of Christ, (once) and the Holy Spirit's renewing and regenerating.   How WONDERFUL!

All of this reminds me of an old hymn that I don't think I have sung in a while, but came to mind today...

"Once For All"  Philip P. Bliss
Free from the law, O happy condition,

Jesus has bled and there is remission,
Cursed by the law and bruised by the fall,
Grace hath redeemed us once for all.

Refrain
Once for all, O sinner, receive it,
Once for all, O brother, believe it;
Cling to the cross, the burden will fall,
Christ hath redeemed us once for all.

Now we are free, there’s no condemnation,
Jesus provides a perfect salvation.
“Come unto Me,” O hear His sweet call,
Come, and He saves us once for all.

“Children of God,” O glorious calling,
Surely His grace will keep us from falling;
Passing from death to life at His call;
Blessèd salvation once for all.


I like Free Foto, but their logo is right over the end of this reference, so let me write it out here for ya:

John 11:25-26 "...I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:  And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die..."

Praise God!

No comments:

Post a Comment