Well, it has been several years since I posted anything here. I wasn't sure if I still could, or if blogs were a thing of the past. I really did enjoy posting and most of my friends here have probably gone on to greener pastures.
Sooo many things have happened in the past 8 years, it's gonna be hard to catch up, but I'll try to hit the highlights.
In January of 2016 I began working for the Town of Groton as a Town Clerk/Tax Collector and ended my long commutes, praise God! I was subsequently elected to that position in March of that year. It's hard to believe that I have been at this for 10 years, but I have enjoyed this job and working in the Town. We have some wonderful people working here and living here. I have learned a ridiculous number of things and at times it's hard to remember everything, but some things just become routine.
At a Town Clerk I have many hats. I am a municipal agent for the DMV, so I do registrations and titles for vehicles. I license dogs, keep records safe, and do deposits and such for the Town. I help to organize our elections (that's a team effort, but I am responsible for Town election ballots and keep records for all of the elections that take place). As a Tax Collector I work in conjunction with the Tax Assessing to get bills out on time and maintain tax accounts. We send bills out twice a year which is a big job and then I collect money for taxes. I don't have much to do with assessing thankfully and I am handed the warrant "on a silver platter", so I do very little on that end with the exception of fielding questions from residents on why the taxes are so high... etc. I have a deputy who works with me. Some days are very busy and others not so much. On the "not so much" days I can get other things done besides working with customers. There's always something that can be done.
I can honestly say that this is one of the best of many jobs that I have had over the years. My favorite by far was teaching, but I'm quite sure at 71 I would not have the stamina to take on a classroom of middle school students. It was so fun when I was teaching and I am so thankful I had that opportunity. Now my students from back then are parents and grandparents some of them. So hard to believe. I have a grandson now who has graduated from college and is teaching. I guess I'll need to live vicariously through him.
pictures of the missing years:
Took a trip with Joanna and Norman to DC to visit Heather and Brandon:
More recent Christmas photo. Doug was not there, but nice pic of the rest of us.
Now for some of the not-so-nice yet noteworthy events:
a few months later we had a bit of an accident in the truck...
a couple of years ago Doug lost his precious father and my "father in love". We miss him sorely.
Through all these things, God has been faithful. We know we will see Dad again some day and received confirmation of this through a letter that was written some time before his death.
On a much lighter note. Our old Dodge Neon is still going strong. Though we've tried to replace it a few times it doesn't want to give up and has left those others in the dust.
I could go on, but I'll save some for another post later.
In God will I praise his Word, in God I have put my trust; I will not fear what flesh can do unto me. Psalm 56:4
My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed: I will sing and give praise ... be thou exalted, O God, above the heavens: let thy glory be above all the earth. Psalm 57: 7, 11
No comments:
Post a Comment