Wednesday, January 6, 2010

New Quest


Lead me, Lord,
Lead me in thy righteousness;
Make thy way plain
Before my face.
For it is thou, Lord,
Thou, Lord only,
That makest me dwell in safety.










James 2:23 (“he was called the Friend of God” - Abraham)
Genesis 5:22,24 ( “walked with God” - Enoch)
Genesis 6:9 (“walked with God” - Noah)
Acts 13:22 (a man after God’s own heart - David)




What were the qualities that each of these men had that caused them to special to God? Were they superhuman? Did they live a “practically perfect” life? Did they give lots of money to the church? Were they martyred for their faith? Did they devote their life to feeding the hungry and giving to the poor? Obviously it wasn’t all those things. What was it that God saw in these men? I thought perhaps a little study of these guys and others like them might give me some insight into what it means to “be a friend of God”. What does God expect from me? What is important to him. I have read the stories of people’s lives and feel so small when I think of all they have sacrificed for their Lord. I admire those people, but where do I fit in… I go to work every day and come home in the evening and prepare a nutritious dinner then do dishes, maybe watch a little TV while I work on some craft or paperwork. On weekends clean the house or help with something that Mr. Doug needs help with. I set goals for cleaning and meal menus and try to accomplish larger projects. I prepare my Sunday School lesson and I spend time thinking about the Lord reading scripture and short devotionals during the day and spend time in prayer. I pray that the Lord will allow me to be a good testimony to others I come in contact with everyday. I have raised 2 lovely daughters. I work hard everyday, but I’m not sure my work is the kind that counts for anything. Lately I’ve been feeling a little concerned about that. When I was teaching I thought then I was really “doing” something that counted for eternity. In my head… I know that God is looking for faithfulness, but I wonder if I shouldn’t be “doing” more. Am I too caught up in the routine? Am I allowing God to use me to full potential?


OK… I’ll let you know what I find out in the days ahead. It’s going to take a while to do this study and I might add a few more people to this list as I go along. I hope this will help me see what God expects of me and that it will be an encouragement to you as well.


If you have something you would like to add to my study… just add it in the comments. I love to hear from you all. I’m on a quest!

No comments:

Post a Comment