Friday, December 13, 2013

Forgiving and Remembering...

Forgiveness/Remembering…

Our pastor did a word study for us on Wednesday night on the word “remember”. While he was speaking, my mind was drifting a little to the idea that if we are to forgive and forget as best we can the ones who have wronged us in our life, there is another side of that coin.

According to Philippians 4:8 we are to think on things that are true, honest, just, pure, lovely, of good report and so if we are to think on these things we can begin to remember the good.

We are to remember God:

Psalm 143:5 “I remember the days of old; I meditate on all thy works; I muse on the work of thy hands.”

Pastor took this verse and looked at the word “muse” – to consider something thoughtfully – syn. “chew over, contemplate, excogitate, meditate, mull, mull over, ponder, reflect, ruminate, speculate, think over” (I especially like “ruminate” because being from farm country I can relate to that word, like a cow out in the field chewing and rechewing its food).

So as I look at the world around me, the trees, the beauty in nature, or even the diversity and beauty in other people and the works of the hand of man controlled by the creativity God gives, I see the creator in all these things and I can “muse” on the works of God.

I was thinking as pastor read this verse… “I remember the days of old”… even though there are things we need to forgive and put behind us, there are many other things to remember.

My life was pretty spectacular growing up with many fond memories, yet there were those things that I need to forgive and put aside. If I spend my time thinking of the unpleasant things it make me spiral into grey thoughts and can even leads me to depression. I am admonished in God’s Word to think of things that will uplift and encourage.

Remember. Remember God. Remember the works of God.

I Chronicles 16:12 was another of the verses Pastor gave us:

“Remember his marvelous works that he hath done, his wonders, and the judgments of his mouth;”

Again, we are admonished to remember His wonders, His judgments which are “true and righteous altogether” Psalm 19:9

I know this sounds like a rambling conversation rather than a “study” and I guess I’m just putting my thoughts to words, so hope you can get something out of this.

Of the 210 times that this word is used in our King James Bibles, many of the uses of this word are in reference to God remembering:

Genesis 8:1 “…God remembered Noah…” ; Genesis 9:16 “… remember the everlasting covenant…”; Genesis 19:29 “…God remembered Abraham…”; Genesis 30:22 “…God remembered Rachel…”; Exodus 2:24 “…God remembered His covenant…” etc…

The word is used 38 +/- times in the New Testament –

Most of the uses of the word in the New Testament have to do with “remembering” what Jesus had said. (see Acts 20:35, Luke 24:6).

I want to never forget what God has done in my life. I don’t want to forget how lost I was and how He came and lifted me out of the miry clay…



“Deeper and Deeper” - Oswald Jeffrey Smith

Into the heart of Jesus
Deeper and deeper I go,
Seeking to know the reason
Why He should love me so,
Why He should stoop to lift me
Up from the miry clay,
Saving my soul, making me whole,
Though I had wandered away.

Into the will of Jesus,
Deeper and deeper I go,
Praying for grace to follow,
Seeking His way to know;
Bowing in full surrender
Low at His blessèd feet,
Bidding Him take, break me and make,
Till I am molded, complete.
Into the cross of Jesus

Deeper and deeper I go,
Following through the garden,
Facing the dreaded foe;
Drinking the cup of sorrow,
Sobbing with broken heart,
“O Savior, help! Dear Savior, help!
Grace for my weakness impart.”

Into the joy of Jesus
Deeper and deeper I go,
Rising, with soul enraptured,
Far from the world below.
Joy in the place of sorrow,
Peace in the midst of pain,
Jesus will give, Jesus will give;
He will uphold and sustain.

Into the love of Jesus
Deeper and deeper I go,
Praising the One Who brought me
Out of my sin and woe;
And through eternal ages
Gratefully I shall sing,
“O how He loved! O how He loved!
Jesus, my Lord and my King!”

2 comments:

  1. thank you for sharing what you are learning ... sounds like a good study and some wonderful musings you've added as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post! May God bless you richly!

    ReplyDelete