Wednesday, April 11, 2018

A Jazzy Hodgepodge







1. April is National Jazz Appreciation Month. Are you a fan? If so what's a favorite you'd recommend to someone new to jazz listening?
I really don't care for Jazz.  I love hymns and songs of praise to God.  I love a good listen to music from Majesty Music and others like that. 

  
2. Mandolin, ukulele, harp, accordion or banjo...which would you be most interested in learning to play? Or do you already play one of the instruments listed?


I play guitar and have a uke.  I did play the uke, but haven't in so long I'd probably need to relearn.  I know the basics of accordion from my dad and have played it some.  Other than that I think I would like to learn to play the harp.  I've always enjoyed listening to harp music.


3. Do you judge a book by it's cover? Elaborate. You may answer in either/both the literal or figurative sense of the word.


I always have a first impression of people and books, but I try to reserve judgement till I know a little more.  I say about books if it doesn't grab my attention in the first chapter I probably won't finish it unless for some reason I must - for instance reading tax laws or DMV laws for work.  With people, they don't always have their best foot forward when you first meet them, so give it some time.  My best friend in high school had an awful first impression of me, but thankfully she was patient with me and we ended up being quite close.


4. According to a recent studythe ten  most nutritious foods are-almonds, cherimoya (supposed to taste like a cross between a pineapple/banana), ocean perch, flatfish (such as flounder and halibut), chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, swiss chard, pork fat (shocking! but I don't think they mean bacon), beet greens, and red snapper. Are any of these foods a regular part of your diet? Any you've never ever tasted? Which would you be most inclined to add to your diet?

 We butchered two pigs year before last and are still eating those with lots left in the freezer.  We also butcher chickens which we have plenty of still.  Mr. D eats almonds like they were going out of style and we eat LOTS of chard and kale in the summer and often I pick it up with the groceries in the winter too since it's so much better if it's fresh.  We just had a beef-based soup with turnip, carrots, onion and kale last night and it was quite good.  I do not eat chia seeds, rarely do we eat pumpkin seeds though sometime I add flax or sunflower or even pumpkin seeds to my bread for added crunch.  I've never heard of cherimoya.  We eat lots of fish, but flounder, halibut and red snapper are not within our food budget.  We do eat tilapia and swai.  I like both and though they aren't as high in omega 3 they are better for us than a red meat meal.  We eat quite healthy, just too much.


5. Besides a major holiday what is the most recent thing you've celebrated with your people? Tell us how.

We had a birthday boy last week and a birthday girlie this week.  Our birthday months are December, April, and September with two birthdays in each (or we could just make up a holiday to celebrate).


6. Insert your own random thought here.



Join the Hodgepodge fun at:
http://www.fromthissideofthepond.com/

2 comments:

  1. Loved reading your answers! And your random thought was certainly anything but random. I love that verse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife and I really enjoy eating fish, but the one thing we can't stand is those bones!

    As for jazz music, that's one of my favorite types of music, but I only hear it from the radio.

    P.S. I'd like to invite you to follow my blog as well, just click on my name above this comment of mine, and you'll be taken there.

    God Bless,

    Lon

    ReplyDelete