Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Happy Thanksgiving and a Merry Christmas too.

I know it's been ages since I've blogged.  I seem to have a bit more time now so we'll see how it goes.  My job keeps me busy but now that the harvest is in I seem to have a bit more time.  I am happy to say that the freezers are full to the brim.  We butchered two pigs and eleven meat birds this year. 


This was the sow and also the first time we ever butchered a pig.  We tried to singe the hair since we didn't have means to dunk her in hot water and scrape her.  Finally we gave up and skinned her, which we decided that we would do for the second pig while it was hanging.  It took the two of us quite a while to do the skinning.  This pig was around 500 lbs and yielded about 350 lbs of meat.  I deboned the shoulder and the hind portion due to freezer space.  I packaged most of the meat in 3-4 lb portions so it is easy to grab a package and thaw and cook it in less time.  If we have company we can always grab a few packages.  I froze the bacon slabs and packages of sausage scraps for when I have more time to work on them.  I've never cured or smoked meat either, so that will be another learning curve for us.



This is pig number two, the boar.  He was a bit smaller and yielded about 260 lbs of meat.  This whole process went a lot smoother as we skinned him while he was hanging.  I don't think we'll do another pig for a few years as it is quite a labor intensive process feeding and processing them.  And to tell you the truth we probably won't need to do another for a few years judging from the amount of meat in the freezer.


We moved all the vegetables that I put up this summer into the upright freezer which now is completely full of squash, green beans, beets, peppers, mushrooms (precooked), Brussel sprouts, and various other veggies.  The chest freezer is nearly full of meat and various berries.. blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries.  We took the flour out, but I think I may put it back in as there is room for it.  Mr. D was able to purchase many five pound bags for 1.99 and .99 each  at the discount food store, so we stocked up.




Mr. D and I took a day off and went to Maine for Thanksgiving.  It was a much needed break and good time together with all of his siblings and their spouses and Mom and Dad.  They took this picture just as we were getting ready to leave for home.  It was a stormy night and I had to go about 30 mph all the way home. 


Updated pictures of the Grandboys.  Handsome creatures.  I love them to pieces.  Brandon is even taller now as is Norman.  I hope to get some new pictures at Christmastime.   

We thank the Lord who has given us blessings beyond measure. 

Pray you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and will be blessed this Christmas.






1 comment:

  1. Oh, so nice to see you blogging!!! Hope you can keep it up! Wow, that was an amazing amount of work processing those hogs. When we raised them a few years, we paid to have all that part done by others. I think it was probably worth it!

    I'm planning to post daily in December in my Christmas blog and would like to do the same in my regular blog, but we will see how time and energy holds out.

    ReplyDelete